Iguazu Falls - A tale of two Iguazu’s


It could have been a tale of three since Paraguay, Argentina, and Brazil all have access to the Iguazu River where the three borders actually meet - a popular tourist attraction. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to see this part; I did not even get the chance to make it to Paraguay. Paraguay, it seems, gets the short-end of the stick as even the cab drivers shun Paraguay. We were trying to find a reason to go and they actually discouraged us against it. My buddy David visited Iguazu Falls the previous weekend and he has way better photos and, I think, did better job telling the story about the falls on his blog, but here’s my version.

Brazil – Foz do Iguazu
Day 1
We arrived in Foz do Iguazu, Brazil, the city where the national park is located, at around 9am. After checking into the newly renovated Recanto Park Hotel and a hot breakfast, we made our way to one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. From the wiki link, I learned that the Iguazu waterfalls are arranged like a reversed letter “J”. The Brazilian side holds about 20% of the falls (mostly the final curve of the “J”) while the Argentinean side holds the rest. To me, the amazing thing about the Brazilian side was the panoramic view and the fact that at almost every point during the walkway from the first view point of the falls to the crescendo, the Devil’s throat (the highest and deepest part of all the waterfalls) you have most of the waterfalls on the Argentinean side in plain view. During the entire walk you are flanked by this panoramic view of all the waterfalls while you take in the amazing flora and fauna of the rainforest. We spotted a blue humming bird, monkeys, coatis and a wide array of butterflies. Below are some highlights.
Butterflies we spotted on the trek



The Calm and The Storm of Iguazu Falls
Views of the Falls and Devil's Throat from the Brazil side




Quenching our thirst at the falls!



Day 2 – Parque de Aves (Bird Park)
I had previously mentioned that Ms. Webb and Mrs. Daniel’s students were kind enough to write me farewell letters prior to my departure. Although most of their letters were focused on giving me valuable advice for my travels, some of them asked for some favors. One such favor was to make sure I spot a Toucan and get some photos. Can I be honest and say that I had no clue what a Toucan was until I read those letters? Luckily for Mary Kate and the rest of Ms. Webb and Mrs. Daniel’s 3rd grade class, there happened to be a bird park next to the entrance of Iguazu Falls. Here are some of our sightings – Enjoy!!

A toucan,  parrots, a parakeet, two hyacinth macaws, and my other favorite: the hummingbird


The various sleeping postures of the flamingo.

Argentina – Puerto Iguazu
In Argentina and Brazil at the same time!

From the Brazilian side of the falls, Argentina is literally a stone throw away. After my bird park visit, I decided to catch a cab to Argentina to get a different point of view of the Iguazu falls. There were definitely more waterfalls on the Argentinean side and something can be said about the ease of getting pretty close to the falls, which was not possible on the Brazil side. On the Argentinean side, it is pretty cool that you could take a lower trail (a bottoms-up view of a number of the falls) and an upper trail (a top-down view of certain falls). 
images from the upper trail (above) and the lower trail (below).
 Also, there is a Rainforest Ecological Train that brings you to the entrance of the Devil’s throat. My one complaint, however, is that there was a lot more walking and climbing of stairs than I anticipated. I guess I did not notice it as much on the Brazilian side because the panoramic view kept me engaged and in awe at all times, but on the Argentinean side, I found myself wondering how long I would have to walk before I encountered my next waterfall. For example, there is 0.6 mile or 10-minute walk through the Rainforest and over the river that brings you over the falls of the Devil’s Throat, which on the Argentinean side was UNBELIEVABLE! I guess it was worth the wait…and the walk.


Much of the trail on the Argentina side has a view like this one.

It's impossible to see the middle of Devil's Throat.  But you might see a rainbow!

The falls from the Argentina side.

In my opinion it is hard and maybe unfair to compare both sides of the waterfalls as they are two very different perspectives and experiences. As one person put it, you see the beauty of the falls better on the Brazilian side, but you feel them more on the Argentinean side.
I will conclude by sharing an experience I found really amusing. I don’t know why; I am telling myself that I may have looked like a basketball player since I am 6’2”, but almost a dozen different people wanted to get pictures with me at the Devil’s Throat. It started with a group of kids and then the requests just kept coming. One lady actually gestured and then spoke in Spanish – I believe she was telling me that she does not know who I am, but since everyone else is getting a picture, she would like one as well. I was able to sneak my camera in for some photos…only in South America!
Me and my fans.. Only in South America.



This was posted at the falls.  I thought it was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment