Final Score: 2-0


Thursday, October 18


Tonight we watched Sao Paulo FC take on Atletico Goianiense at the Morumbi Stadium in Sao Paulo. I enjoy basketball; I really enjoy American football but I LOVE futebol [soccer]! Like most great futebol games, the energy in the stadium was electric; the pitch was perfect and the players entertaining. The highlights of the night were watching Luis Fabiano take and miss a penalty kick and the crowd still embracing their hero.   I would be lying if I did not say I felt like the stadium came to a complete standstill when he missed, and then for almost a full minute after, the entire stadium cheered in perfect harmony "LUIS FABIANO!! LUIS FABIANO!! LUIS FABIANO!!" Maybe it’s just me, but I felt like both the referee and the opposing team were in awe of the loyalty that filled the air because the game did not restart until Fabiano humbly, or shamefully waved and clapped to the crowd in appreciation of their grace and kindness.

Luis Fabiano is one of the most decorated Brazilian strikers of my generation and it was clear that his team loves him. Come rain, come shine, they’ll stand by their own (tonight, even, they stood by him).
On another note, watch out for a kid name Lucas Moura (#7 of Sao Paulo). I believe he is one of the next stars to emerge from Brazil and will be playing in Europe very soon. He was a joy to watch.
Fabiano playing, preparing for his penalty kick, and missing the goal

The crowd at the entrance to the match and the fans cheering during the match

The period following the game was also very interesting. I guess soccer in Brazil, or Sao Paulo specifically, can be pretty intense because with the amount of armed officers, police cars, flashing lights and officer-mounted horses, one would have assumed a riot was about to ensue.  All in all, it was a great night!  A big thank you goes out to Rafael (pronounced Ha-fa-el) and Laura for the invite and for being such great hosts tonight and throughout our entire stay in Sao Paulo thus far. 
L-R: Ravy, Me, Rafael,  Uma, and Rachel.  I had to wear my jersey on top of my jacket as my jacket turned out to be the opposing team's colors!


No comments:

Post a Comment