ó do borogodó- The Beauty Lies Within..

Friday, October 5, 2012
At ó do borogodó, even the waiters can be potential dance partners!

-->
The scene at ó do borogodó
I apologize for being misleading but, honestly, I do not know what “o do borogodo” really means. If it were up to me, it would be one of those clichés like “never judge a book by its cover “or “beauty lies within”.
I came upon this phrase when we arrived at a very small, unassuming structure in Pinheiros; the “new downtown” district in Sao Paulo. We actually considered not coming out of the cab and at one point; someone (I won’t name names) took off his or (or her) watch and jewelry, just to play it safe. Like typical Americans, we arrived for our little nightlife outing around 10:30pm and were of the first six people there. Within minutes Daniel Li, my boss and host for the evening, joined us; and over the next 30 – 45 minutes, and a couple of drinks later, this literal “hole in the wall” spot (less than 1,000 sq ft.) was transformed into the epitome of Brazilian cultural expression – Samba!!! 
It was as beautiful as advertised; guitars, cavaquinhos, singing, and dancing into the early hours of the morning. And the singer? Her name was Juliana and her voice was as beautiful as the woman. I could try and say more about this place… but I’d be wasting both our times. This was “o do borogodo” – hands down the best samba venue in town (a).

Daniel, me, and Uma, my colleague
(a)   Source: Time out Sao Paulo



No comments:

Post a Comment