Week Three Sightseeing: Old Sao Paulo

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Touring Old Sao Paulo with our tour guide, Adriana


After an amazing night at the Escola de Samba, today’s site seeing agenda was pretty simple – go visit old Sao Paulo, also known as Centro. To get to our destination, we traveled on the metro for the first time since we arrived in Brazil. The area we are currently staying and most of the locales that we visit don’t look all that different from buildings I see in Atlanta or NYC but for the first time in the past three weeks, the architecture, not the language or people, was the key indicator that I was in a different country.  I have to say; some of the sights in old Sao Paulo were pretty sobering. I couldn’t get myself to take pictures of the dozens of homeless people we encountered throughout our adventure. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that although this looks like a ghost town on a Sunday, I have heard on Monday through Saturday it is a bustling center of commerce. Enjoy!


Marco Zero – Considered the official center of Sao Paulo


Patio do Colegio – This marks the site where the city was founded. It is a Jesuit church and school started by Jesuit missionaries in 1554. Inscription: Here the cross of Christ was born in this city dedicated to the apostle Paul by Jesuit priest Manuel da Nobrega and Jose de Achieta among other – January 25, 1554 A.D.


Catedral da se – Sao Paulo Cathedral
Banespa – The “Empire State Building” of Sao Paulo
Brazilian Stock Exchange


Mercado municipal – Never ending tasting of exotic fruits and veggies- which became my downfall...


Lunch!


The Market was a never ending free tasting of assorted fruits.
They were all so good that I had to buy some. The vendor was amazing, and looking back, probably a little too good at his job.  After sampling the fruit, I was determined to have some for myself.  Little did I know that it would cost $30! for only 4 pieces of fruit. I was taken by surprise but had already expressed so much interest.... so I paid.  Did I just get hustled? 




No comments:

Post a Comment